UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon
World Environment Day is an annual event on 5 June that is aimed at being the biggest and most widely celebrated global day for positive environmental action.
World Environment Day is one of the principal vehicles through which the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) stimulates worldwide awareness of the environment and focuses political attention and action.
World Environment Day activities are involving everyone from everywhere.
World Environment Dayy is also a day for people from all walks of life to come together to ensure a cleaner, greener and brighter outlook for themselves and future generations.
credits: Jacobsburg Environmental Education Center
Here I am writing again about Environmental education at school. So important to help our students became engaged citizens.
Schools have an important role. Educators must teach environmental values in different moments of the curriculum, providing some thoughts and digital educational digital resources, to educate young people for a sustainable future and inspire them by being a good example.
Of course you can't forget to invite your students to use their devices (ipads, smartphones, tablets) for developing interactve activities.
Students will involve in creative 'green' projects that they will share with classmates, families, friends and pen-pals. They will become good young environmentalists.
Other activities for students:
- Start a 'dream' contest on Twitter. Every student will write a slogan and publish it on Twitter on the hastag #7BillionsDreams;
The best 3 'dreams' in every class will have a prize (ask for help to a librarian or tech store);
- Make a video with your class: invite the students to write the script (Languages curriculum and Multimedia);
- Invite your students to write the words for a song and choose a music to include the words;
- Plan and create a page on Facebook (shool or class account) and invite students from different schools to interact with: thematic subjects, videos, songs, famous environmentalists);
- Invite students to write stories, poems, news, interviews, dramas, letters to pen-pals about the importance of a dream to a better world and publish them on a green class blog;
- Make some photos (outdoor class) and publish them on a green class blog;
- Organize a school clean-up or neighborhood school clean-up;
- Start a campaign to stop using plastic bags at school, home, and ask the community to do the same;
- Stop food waste at school canteen, at home.
Level: All levels (adapt to the level every teacher is teaching).
Curricula: Cross-curricular : Languages, Sciences; Geography, Arts (Design, Photograph, Music, Multimedia)
Devices: iPads, smartphones, tablets.
05.06.2015Copyright © 2015G-Souto'sBlog, gsouto-digitalteacher.blogspot.com®
World Environment Day in school education by G-Souto is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.